Pageviews last month

Tuesday 7 February 2012

hoorah for being a wrinklie and saving money!

Well I finally got to a place I have wanted to be for a long time….at an age where I can take long holidays in the sun and not have to worry about going back to work or the British winter!
I always wanted to join the ‘Wrinklies’, nothing to do with age of course, more a case of too much sun! I had a passion for sunbathing from the time of the Beach Boys, now, I am a fully paid up member…on every count.
I retired to Goa but didn’t give up work completely, I now work had at getting a tan that will put the locals to shame but not to get too much of a good thing I restrict this to daylight hours only, (actually afternoons and weekends….of course).To keep me busy and at least have something to talk about at the dinner table, I started a website and blog, basically on where to go, where to eat and where to sleep in Goa, this landed me with an invitation for lunch at a small Boutique Hotel near Panjim….and where I suppose this blog really starts……..
A few minutes drive from Panjim (a great place to wander and wonder and small enough not to get lost……) I arrived in front of this beautifully restored Goan house. It has eight rooms, all ensuite and two cottages in the one acre garden. It’s owned by a Brit expat from ‘Up North’ and his Indian wife, (unfortunately I have been out of the UK for many years and not knowing whether the accent was left or right of the Pennines, decided simply not to ask). They describe the accommodation as simple but that’s probably not the word I would use, the rooms are clean, comfortable, and cosy and each has a very smart bathroom bouncy mattress and flat screen TV! The owners know they have a good property, what they don’t understand this is a beautiful ‘escape’ in a peaceful, quiet and idyllic location with beautiful interiors and quality fittings….a rarity in most Hotels here in India. Actually a  Hotel that feels like home, a concept let alone reality that most people would find hard to believe exists just 15km from the hustle and bustle or is it the hassle and bustle of the Baga Beach area.
The house has an eclectic range of antiques and art from all over the world, a very sweet German Shepherd, (don’t worry it’s a dog, not a real German Shepherd), wonderful ‘sit out’ areas and a crystal clear swimming pool…..perfect. It could be anywhere in the world, where it’s sunny of course and has coconut trees and sunshine etc etc…,
We sat in the small open air dining area overlooking the pool and chatted about the house, our  live ‘pre Goa’ and of course the UK and how we are never going back there….
Sorry, getting sidetracked…….happens more and more….
Anyway we were talking about the British winters and I was asked whether people would be interested in staying at this wonderful home for three months at a stretch for just 45000 rupees (that’s just over 500 GBP) per month per room, this  includes breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. I think it’s perfect and with the small bar selling drinks at ‘local bar’ prices, (so a beer is about 70 pence and a large brandy or whiskey for about 50 pence!) could it get more perfect?  
 
For me this represents tremendous value, the owners care about their hotel/home and the comfort and well being of their guests…remember he’s from ‘Up North’ . The idea is that you have a ‘home from home’, escape the British Winter and share quality time with friends in a wonderful atmosphere.
….. and Goa is the perfect introduction to India, it’s a half way house and ideal for those not sure whether they could handle India full on.


No comments:

Post a Comment